Saturday, October 24, 2009

Skipping

I’ve not posted for a few days because life got in the way! If you get chance to see them the Bueno Vista Social Club were great- but that’s for another blog.

I’m still working on the 3-day schedule. The 3rd day is just about snatching. Seven reps each hand for as many reps as possible. I used a mixture of 12kg and 16kg and worked hard on form. Moving back to the gym for day two meant that I could dead lift double 20kg which was more of a challenge. I just have to watch that my knees don’t move in.

That concentrated work on snatches clearly paid off as got I praise last night. My trainer thought I was snatching 12kg when I was actually snatching 16kg and he was pleased with form. Just goes to show that sometimes taking the pressure off helps.

We then went outside- in the dark- to work on skipping. I have been skipping for about 40 years without even thinking about form. So this was hard work. Not from a cardio point of view but from a corrective point of view. I skip too fast, my feet are too close together and I don’t use my wrists enough. Add to that breathing and phew there is a lot to learn. The hardest part was slowing down…He also told me to relax as well- this was one step too far!!

I was interested in why we were skipping. Kettlebells are great for cardio so I don’t need to skip from that point of view, although I do enjoy the change in movement from time to time. Apparently skipping is really good from a corrective point of view . It increases awareness of what your body is doing ,where you are in space and breathing control. In my case, I’m all over the place in with all three so I can see the benefit. Three sets of 10 skips has now been added to workouts. I’m interested to see what difference this makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment