Saturday, December 12, 2009

Post Workout Shake

8oz milk*

1 cup of uncooked instant oats 1/2 cup of unsalted almonds 1 cup of fruit** 1 teaspoon of locally grown honey 1 handful of ice 1-2 scoops of whey protein Ice crush and blend

I read conflicting reports on using protein as a supplement, but I like to use it, so I vary my intake. The amount I use depends on what type of workout I did. Cardio-intensive workouts will be followed by less protein and weight-intensive workouts are chased by the full two scoops– never more. My own experience is that I feel a significant improvement in muscle recovery times when I use protein powder in my mix. It may be psychological, but so much of exercise is,  so I follow up accordingly.

Another way I use protein is adding 1 Tbslp to my water to carry during my workout. Again, maybe less during my 30 Minute Triathlons, and more when I plan to heave heavy weight. I refill my bottle when I only have  1/4 of fluid remaining, which slowly reduces the protein to water ratio. I honestly don’t know what sort of verifiable benefit this provides, but I have noticed less fatigue during and after the workout. I’ve read reports that protein during exercise helps spur fat loss, but I haven’t been at this method long enough to know if that is accurate for me.

There is a lot of information out there, and the main idea behind CraseFit is cataloging what works best for me, and having a record of what hasn’t worked. I’ll not say that anything I do will work for your body, but some of the filtered information is available on this site for your perusal, judgment and potential use.

*(whichever kind works best for you) **(this is approximate– I use blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries, but a whole banana works great when they appear appetizing on the shelf)

~Lee

[Via http://crasefit.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment