Thursday, December 3, 2009

In Memory of Anna Benson

I found out a couple of days ago that legendary FIRM founder Anna Benson passed away on November 23, 2009. You can read her obituary here. Anna was an inspiration to countless FIRM fans, myself included. I have to give the FIRM credit for helping me to shed over 50 pounds of excess body weight I had carried around with me for years, and for instilling in me a passion for fitness. In the months after I first discovered the FIRM workouts, I checked out from the library and/or purchased a number of the titles in the series. One of the old videos had a segment at the end called 20 Questions About Fitness, a short but very informative video which taught me a lot about the benefits of aerobic weight training. Soon after, I read Firm for Life, which Anna Benson co-authored with her sister and FIRM co-founder Cynthia Benson. I was struck by the Benson sisters’ talent, passion, and leadership.

I think Anna Benson had a very important influence. First, I think she set a very high standard of production on workout videos in terms of the music, sets, editing, and clarity of instruction. I think her influence has carried through in the subsequent work of many of the FIRM instructors. Her emphasis on weight training and “muscle confusion,” at least in the workout video market, was ahead of its time. I also think she was an inspirational figure and role model for professional women. Anna and her vision and talent will be sorely missed by many.

[Via http://fitbodyspot.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment