Thursday, January 28, 2010

I've Graduated

Well, it seems like it’s time.

Time to move on to the YMCA instead of just Snap Fitness Bay View.  We’re going to try it out for a month, and then cancel SNAP if the Y works out.  Why is this, you say?  Don’t you LIVE in Bay View?

Yes, I do.  But even with SNAP Fitness being right down the road from me (seriously, it’s ridiculously close) we still drive.  Yes – we really do. Especially in this cold.  It takes 15 minutes to walk there, 15 minutes to walk back.  That’s 30 minutes that I could be working out. No, it’s not eco-friendly. No, it’s not neighborhood friendly. No, it’s not ideal. But it’s the truth.

And it’s time to face the facts. 

Another fact is that the times I want to work out, SNAP is SO packed. In such a small space, that’s a big deal. Perhaps it’s just the aprés New Year crowd, but it detracts from our ability to do what we need to do for ourselves. There are only so many machines, and people are almost always on them. There’s very little space to do floor-based exercises (abs!) when NO one is there, so you can imagine what it’s like when it is busy. When we signed up, it didn’t smell like a gym. Now…it does, and it nearly makes me gag every time I get in there.

The last fact is, really, the classes. The classes are HUGE for me. In taking the Hip Hop class at Danceworks (which is packed to the point of turning people away), I’ve been reminded that I am motivated by teachers much more than I am motivated by myself. Honestly, the motivation to GO to the gym is a massive feat, so the motivation to push myself isn’t there.  Not yet. Which is why classes can* be great.

SNAP has no classes.  And while Bay View Fitness has classes, it doesn’t have all the other amenities that the YMCA DOES have.  The YMCA is also only $4 more than our current membership. I was expecting a much higher number.  And finally, because I’m a planner – the YMCA has lockers, towels, water (SNAP doesn’t even have a water fountain) and …wait for it…daycare.  Because I would like to have kids someday and still work out.

That’s the level of commitment I’m looking to make – a lifetime relationship with the gym.

So tonight, we are graduating to the YMCA. I’ve proven that I can get to the gym regularly.  Now to up the ante a bit.

* I add this note because it really depends on the teacher.  Sometimes, I’m completely a competitive asshole, and decide that I don’t like a teacher’s attitude. This, of course, results in me deciding I would rather go it alone.

[Via http://folkfusionista.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment