Sunday, November 29, 2009

Improvement #1: Fitness & Diet

I have had pretty low self-esteem for a while now, and I believe a lot of that has to do with the way I look. I can’t really remember the last time I felt really comfortable in my own skin. Going through grade school I played a lot of sports (even though I was never really an athlete) and I didn’t feel good about how I looked, and now that I’m no longer a part of any organised team or group to keep me active my fitness situation has only gotten worse. I get depressed when I look at myself, I get depressed when the clothes I wear don’t fit right and I get depressed when I realise how out of shape I am. I’m not dangerously obese, but this cycle of depression makes me feel like I am. Everything is a mess.

It’s time to put an end to that mentality. If I don’t like the way I look and feel, I guess I better change the way I look and feel. I’m going to start getting myself used to the idea of actually being in shape, and I’m going to do it through hard work and discipline. No drastic surgeries, no magic weight-loss pills or powders and definitely no infomercial brand ab-crunchers, ab-twisters, ab-burners, ab-destroyers, ab-attackers or ab-fuckers.

I’m going to be using a slight variation of Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” program taken from Sean10mm’s fitness blog. I have no idea if it will work, but it seems like it comes from a pretty credible source and should be a good starting point towards getting to where I want to be.

For the safety of any pregnant women reading this, I’ll refrain from posting a picture of myself today, but if somehow manage to get a body that I can at least not be embarrassed about, then I’ll post the before and after. I’ll be updating this occasionally to keep a record of how the fitness thing is going, so hopefully that will give me enough motivation to keep going. This is without a doubt the most important improvement on my long list, so if I fail this, I can’t consider any of my self-improvements a success (more will be added to this list soon).

If anybody has any tips or anything for a beginner gym rat, leave me a comment.

[Via http://pursuitofsomething.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment